Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

BE2WORKS software discussion forum

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Postby admin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:27 pm

Q. How can I read battery data?
A. You need to connect SCL, SDA and GND pins of adapter to SCL, SDA and GND pins of the battery with any suitable wires. Then press "Read" button. The button will turn in to stop sign and led "B" will start blinking. Cells must be connected and battery must be initialized if you just assemble it (in some cases). To initialize the battery you need just momentary apply power to "+" and "-" battery terminals from any DC power source (about 9V). If the cells of the battery are dead or absent then leave the power source connected to the battery terminals and read the battery.

Q. Where are SCL, SDA and GND pins on my battery?
A. Different batteries have different terminal pinouts so the only way is to try different combinations. Connect GND pin of adapter to GND terminal of your battery then try different combinations of connecting SCL and SDA pins. SCL and SDA pins are always next to each other. It will take no more then 5 minutes. You need just not to connect battery "+" terminal to adapter. All other combinations are safe. But you have to remember that not all the batteries are SBS compliant. The software will wait for proper connection and will notify you with flashing led "B". When the right connection is found the led wil stop blinking and will turn to green. Button will turn from stop sighn to normal. If you cant find the proper connection than press the stop sighn to stop waiting.

Q. What does it mean, "to reset the battery"?
A.It means to erase all tracks of previous battery usage and to roll back all the vital parameters to factory new. For example, to roll back charge/discharge counts to zero, to make Full Charge Capacity equal to Design Capacity, to make Manufacture Date equal to current date, to erase Permanent Failure Flag (Error Flag) and so on. All above changes are made in BE2Works with just one button click .

Q. How can I reset my battery?
A.Actually, to reset the battery you need to reset EEPROM chip because EEPROM chip is the place, where tracks of previous battery usage are stored. Unsolder cells, connect EEPROM chip to adapter, choose the chip in "Chip" listbox and press "Read EEPROM" button. The dump data will appeare in Dump window. If the dump is supported by the software then "Reset" button will become available and led "D" will turn to green. Enter FCC value and press "Reset" button. The changed values of EEPROM will turn to blue. Then you can assemble the battery.

Q. I have a dump file from another similar battery. Can i refill my dead battery with this dump?
A. I's extremely undesirable to use dump from another battery. Each battery has its own individual configuration data, which is stored in EEPROM. Using dump from another battery can't guarantee proper battery working.

Q. Do I have to unsolder EEPROM chip when I want to reset it or I can leave it on board and tap the wires?
A. We recommend you always to unsolder the chip.

Q. What is a chipset?
A. Chipset is a combination of microcontroller chip and EEPROM chip. E.g. M37515 and SL220.

Q. Can I use my notebook/desktop internal power source to power up LPTadapter?
A. Yes. You can connect USB power wire (red) to +5V terminal of adapter. You need just one wire. No need to connect GND as it's connected via internal PC circuits.

Q. When I reset BQ20ZXX chip the FCC value doesn't change while the other values are changed.
A. Yes. To change FCC in this chip you need to perfom calibrating cycle. Texas Instruments recommendation:
The learning cycle process for an Impedance Track gauge is highly recommended, as it updates parameters that allow for more accurate gauging. In order to increase this accuracy, TI recommends at least 2 hours rest after a charge cycle or at least 5 hours rest after a discharge cycle. This rest period allows the battery cells to relax to a stable voltage, which is required for an accurate open circuit voltage (OCV) reading. The Impedance Track gauge requires two OCV readings to update the Qmax parameters. It is probable that the battery voltage will stabilize quite a bit before the 2 hour and 5 hour periods, but some batteries do take longer than others. Since accurate OCV readings during learning are so critical, the rest periods were chosen as they are.

Alternative method:

1. Even though accurate capacity is unknown, set Qmax and design capacity to the cell capacity shown in the data sheet. Do not send IT enable command 0021.
2. Send SMB command 46, word 0006 to turn on the FETs.
3. Discharge the pack down to termination voltage at a C/5 rate.
4. Let it relax for 5 hours or more.
5. Send the IT enable command (0021). Bits QEN and VOK in Operation Status are set.
6. Charge pack to full capacity until the taper current is reached and the FC bit is set.
7. Let it relax for 2 hours. Qmax is learned at this point; this can be verified by MaxError changing to 3% and Update Status to 5%.
8. Discharge the pack down to terminate voltage at the typical low rate of your application. For laptops, it is usually C/5. The MaxError changes to 1%, and the Update Status changes to 6%.
9. Repeat steps 4 and 6 to 8 one more time to verify the gas-gauging accuracy.

Q. My PC doesn't have parallel (LPT) port.
A. If you have laptop then you can buy PCMCIA -> LPT card.
If your card assigns non-standard address to port then just change it in be2works.ini file as follow:
PortAddr=XXX (XXX - you cards port address)
If you have desktop then you need to buy multi I/O card with a parallel port.
admin
Site Admin

Return to BE2WORKS software