Activating / Initializing the battery

Feel free to talk about laptop batteries here

Activating / Initializing the battery

Postby propolis » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:44 am

Hello guys,

I observed that some batteries enter in let's say "Sleep Mode" if the cells are disconnected and they must be initialized / activated. For example: I took a good battery which holds current for ~30min, I replaced the cells but no output voltage between P+ and P-. So, I decided to connect it in a laptop, surprise, after disconnecting voltage comes back on P+ and P-. I suppose the laptops initialized / activated the battery over SMBus.

Does someone know which commands are for this activating ?

Thanks
propolis

Re: Activating / Initializing the battery

Postby staceygeek » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:43 am

All batteries I have repacked (not many) had to be "activated" before one gets output voltage. Just apply voltage from an external power supply with current limiter about 200-300mA. The voltage you apply must be couple of volts higher than the voltage of your battery pack. Thus you place the controller into working mode and the battery can be read again. To my understanding this is easier than commands in terminal.
staceygeek

Postby Barkuti » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:38 am

Hello!
Got a pack with a bq8030 microcontroller laying around, the stuff seems to be working but needs new cells.
Is there any problem with this controller if I am to power it down (from P− to P+) and then power it back up after recelling? I believe the answer is “no problem”, although I had an affair with an unknown SH79F329AX controller from an aftermarket battery pack and it seems it raised some flag after powering it down and up again for recelling. :?

Thanks and cheers :D
Barkuti

Postby admin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:50 pm

You must disconnect cells from - to +
Connect in revers order.
admin
Site Admin

Postby staceygeek » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 pm

Sorry, admin, but it is quite opposite. You should disconnect + first, followed by all other contacts, finished by -. Connect as you correctly noted, in reverse order, namely, starting with -.
staceygeek

Return to Other